Wednesday, May 22, 2002

so what if my movie isnt as good its it still a me movie. im getting better actually a lot better. so im not going to die! hooray! today is actually wednesday and nothing really happened. it was just a day you know? thats how life is for me right now, its just a day. nothing special, though i would like my days to be more exciting. everyone at this point is thinking about the future but me i think im going to say in the present. i just have to live each day as they come no matter how boring they may be.everyones all up in the college and stuff...im not going so it kinda leaves me out of the conversation, i dont know im thinking about going to vc or somewhere. i can go to some community collge in SLO and live up there with my dad and then transfer to Cal Poly but i dont know. i have all the time in the world, yet it feels like im becoming older. i really dont feel my age. i think old but have a young shell. i guess thats a good thing but sometimes i just dont want to grow up. days go by so fast. i guess im going to have to grow up one day.

back to my boring life now...in home economics my teacher made each table a funnel cake, oh man it reminded me of magic mountain it was so good and i cant wait to make one for myself. yum! if you catch me after foruth i might have a funnel cake in my hand and if im in an especially good mood maybe ill give you a bite. after watching olivers twist (formally known as the naked chef) i wanted to become a chef and go to culinary school. i want to be a chef but my parents will be like where will that take you? but then i kinda dont care. i told my sister right now about culinary school she told me to follow what my little heart says to. dont do what see did. b/c she wanted to go to art school but she did my what my parents said to do and she kinda inhappy with the results. so maybe i might and then go to community college at the same time.

so im introducing the recipe of the week:
Fruit Cobbler
Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver

This is a fantastic American recipe equivalent to our crumble. Particularly good with strawberries and rhubarb, but you can use any fruit combo you like; about 680g/1 1/2 pounds of fruit should do it.
For the fruit:
2 apricots, stoned and sliced
1 pear, cored and thickly sliced
1 pint blackberries
1 pint blueberries
1 pint raspberries
1 stick rhubarb
5 tablespoons sugar
A good glug balsamic vinegar

For the topping:
4 ounces butter, chilled
8 ounces (225 grams) self-rising flour
2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) sugar
A large pinch salt
4 1/2 fluid ounces (130 milliliters) buttermilk
A little sugar, for dusting

Vanilla ice cream, as an accompaniment

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C/gas 5). Put the fruit into a pan with the sugar and the balsamic vinegar. Put the pan over the heat, and cook gently, until the juices begin to run from the berries. Pour into an ovenproof dish.

Meanwhile make the topping. Rub the cold butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the sugar and salt, stir well, and then add the buttermilk to form a loose, scone-type mixture. Roll balls of the dough and place randomly over the hot fruit. Sprinkle with a little sugar, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.